homestead - Re: [Homestead] Communications

  • From: Robert Walton <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Communications
  • Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 07:09:05 -0500

>   So, I am back to Hughesnet or dialup...

I'm coming in late on this and only had time to skim the thread, so
sorry if I'm out in left field.

I'm out of DSL area and I use Verizon over my blackberry as an
Internet connection for work (I work at home). Some days I can get
calls here on the cell, some days not. Email usually comes through.
Internet connectivity can be variable. It's never as fast as in town,
town is never as fast as in Richmond or Lynchburg. Some days Internet
connectivity is really slow to non-existent. I really varies. I've
considered satellite, I wish my employer would at least split the
cost, but they insist on the blackberry.

I've investigated satellite, options seem to be Hughes or Wild Blue.
Wild Blue is resold by Dish at a discount if you are a Dish satellite
TV customer. The big difference in the two seems to be the "Fair
Access Policy".

Fair Access penalizes you if you download over a preset amount of data
in a 24 hour period. Last time I checked, I liked Hughes policy on
this better than Dish. Dish penalizes you for the remainder of the
billing period, Hughes penalizes you for the following 24 hour period.
The penalty is to cut your download speed, some people say they get
cut down to near dial-up speeds.

Rob - Va