homestead - Re: [Homestead] Communications

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Communications
  • Date: Tue, 09 Feb 2010 21:05:46 -0500

Thanks for all the skype and magicjack info...I'm not sure which way I
will go yet, but I appreciate all the feedback.
Ron went over to the Skywave office and no big surprise here-it won't
work in our area. "You ain't gonna get nothing out there!", he said,
like we don't already know that. So, I am back to Hughesnet or dialup...
You what I really hate about changing over to Hughesnet? I will hate
giving up my email address. I've had the same email address for almost
15 years....sad.

Bev

Mogrits wrote:
Bev,

We are in a similar situation as yours, and I got hughesnet finally, when I was running my business out of my home. It has it's
limitations as most here have pointed out, but overall it delivers on
it's modest promises. We rarely hit our download limit except when
the kids are all home with their laptops. Hughes also recently
released some tools that make it easier to schedule update and larger
downloads for the "free period" in the middle of the night.

Also, in lieu of skype, I highly recommend the magicjack (www.magicjack.com). I know it sounds hokey to buy something touted
in an infomercial but it actually works well. the device is 20 bucks
and the service is 20 dollars a year for local and US and Canada long
distance. You plug the thing into a usb port and then plug any phone
into it. When we visited Costa Rica we took a laptop and the
magicjack and an 8.00 phone purchased at Big Lots. Whenever we were
near a wifi spot we could call back to our hometown, retrieve
voicemails, stc at no cost. Ditto when a friend went to europe- I
just let him borrow the magicjack.

It will work on the hughesnet but it is not as good on there as it is
on a cable modem.

I'm going to look into the skywave service as my hughesnet contract
is over and I can go month to month now..

Change your homestead list member options: http://lists.ibiblio.org/mailman/options/homestead/erthnsky%40bellsouth.net
View the archives at: https://lists.ibiblio.org/sympa/arc/homestead