homestead - Re: [Homestead] Life in Elbonia

  • From: Robert Walton <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Life in Elbonia
  • Date: Wed, 10 Feb 2010 06:48:51 -0500

> After those years of drought the water table is back in spades.  Rain on
> top of melting snow ... the TVA lake that us usually lowered by 40 feet in
> the
> winter is within 8 feet of being full.  Flatlanders my have a hard time
> visualizing this, but with extreme saturation of the ground, water will
> appear
> to stand in pools on steep hillsides.

I've just 4 years here, so am seeing ponds full that never have been.
And the water does pool on the pasture that is on a good slope. The
soil here has been saturated since October. I had to dig a ditch just
above a shed I'd put in, the water was just washing into part of it.

In late November, I was digging a couple of post holes in the back
yard. At about 8 inches down water started to flow in the hole, just
like I'd hit a spring.

Rob - Va