homestead - Re: [Homestead] Global Warming?

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Global Warming?
  • Date: Sun, 18 Oct 2009 20:42:33 -0800

I have friends who have lived in Alaska for decades. Just got an e-mail today about how freaky it is for them and folks who have lived there 50 to 100 years. The permafrost is melting and no one has seen this before. No slight melt and refreeze, just plain melting.

Lynda
--"I'm fascinated by the hard line you're drawing over religion -- It gets
used too much, as an excuse, a fall guy, a weapon, a con. A lot of people,
maybe most, don't mean it except when it suits them." Dallas
----- Original Message ----- From: "Chris Clarke" <hstead AT nc.rr.com>

Drew,

The problem is that the evidence of alpine glacial retreats and the Arctic
Ocean ice thickness measurements, it really is clear that climate is warmer
than it was for most of the past 1000 years. It has been warmer,
definitely. There is no question now about the validity of the warming.
I was one of the last holdouts in the meteorlogical community.

Now anthropological basis for that warming is still is debatable, but the
indications continue to to slant more and more toward the CO2/Greenhouse
gases increasing being the source of this warming. I don't think that a
cool summer is going to change that.

BTW, the talk in the mid-70's about a coming ice age was based on the fact
that most interglacial periods over the past 2 million years last about 10 -
15K years. We are about that far along now, and "should" be heading into
another ice age. Of course, the winters of 1976 and 1977 certainly made
that point sellable.