homestead - Re: [Homestead] water! was Re: Farm Update

  • From: Rob <becida AT comcast.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] water! was Re: Farm Update
  • Date: Thu, 08 Oct 2009 13:01:27 -0700

At 10/8/2009 12:16 PM,Sage Austin | Eureka! Design wrote:
Thanks, Rob. Now that's a fun idea, like Petticoat Junction (any of you
remember that one?!) we could just get a pool and swim in our storage!
I'd vote for that. I wonder how hard it would be (or, can it be done?)
to heat an outdoor above ground pool here where the winters are somewhat
mild. I could just swim to get clean! (I have a real swimming deficit,
having had no river all summer to play in).
We tend to get downpours, so you can only catch as much
as you can store, and storage is the expense.

Before we moved to the place in Minnesota I picked up a 12' above ground pool for $100, I figured it would be for firefighting water if nothing else, had a gasoline powered pump too.
Never had a fire but the pool came in real handy for playing.

An above ground pool, a 12vdc pump and a good rain and you'd have enough water to take a shower...

When were first moved to Minnesota we didn't have a well, I had new trash cans. One in the kitchen that we filled with 6 gal containers (every trip to town) and dipped water as needed and two outside to catch the rainwater. Bathing was down with a big pot of warmed rainwater.

Life was better with the well.

Rob

becida AT comcast.net
Western Washington State, USA