homestead - Re: [Homestead] Vitamin D, your health and mine

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Vitamin D, your health and mine
  • Date: Mon, 5 Oct 2009 09:53:40 -0800

I can answer the kidney stone part. The stone should have been biopsied and they should be able to tell you what of the 3 or 4 types it is. If it is the calcium type, which it probably is since you had the stress fracture, it is a lack of calcium and D. Taking calcium and eating lots of foods with calcium are not the problem. The kidney stones are caused by the kidney drawing calcium from your bones! To counter balance this you need to be sure that when you are eating any calcium rich food you also eat something high in D. Then you need to take something like Caltrate which is a calcium/D combo pill.

Seems if you have enough calcium to keep your bones in good health, then the kidneys stop taking the bone calcium. Doesn't make sense but that's how it is.

Lynda
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are
to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and
servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public." Theordore
Roosevelt, 1918.

snip<

I can't believe that this might have been the precipitating factor for a
lot of my health issues, for a long time, too. And it seems to have
such a simple, and inexpensive solution. I've tried turmeric and milk
thistle and other supplements and herbs but the biggest difference in
pain relief and general well-being has been with Vitamin D
supplementation. Last year, I went to the ER with a kidney stone. I'd
never even had a kidney infection or a bladder infection, and out of the
blue I get a kidney stone. Well, I read that Vitamin D deficiency can
cause "increased excretion of calcium from renal tubules". If you are
going to the doc for bloodwork anyway, get them to check your Vitamin D
levels. You might be surprised. It might keep you from getting cancer
or even from getting the flu or other viruses.

This page lists some risk groups(including vegetarians) and talks about
how certain meds can affect your Vitamin D level.
http://www.the-vitamin-and-supplement-guide.com/vitaminDdeficiencysymptoms.html

I hope everyone takes a few minutes to read these articles. It just
might save your life or prevent you from having osteoporosis or other
bone issues later in life.

Bev

--
Sleep well tonight, for somewhere in the ocean's depths, MY son is
protecting your freedom on the USS Key West, currently deployed