homestead - Re: [Homestead] Democrats, past, present and future-was Video

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Democrats, past, present and future-was Video
  • Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2009 12:56:57 -0400

Lynn Wigglesworth wrote:
Bev; I think there has always been a philosophical divide in this country; Obama's promises just widened it more. I'm not really on either 'side'. I don't like the idea of government being in my business...the less government, the better. BUT, under the Republicans, the rich got richer, not through hard work, but through friends in high places that relaxed the rules to let them take advantage of the rest of us. It sounded like Obama would fix that, when in reality he turned government over to Wall St. I was not an Obama supporter, but I would still like to see him keep his promises and succeed.

Just to clarify, don't you think that turning the government over to Wall Street is to the same end as the rich getting richer through friends in high places who relaxed rules to their own advantage? To me, both parties are guilty of this.

I think there are a growing nunber of people, all over the political spectrum, that are disgusted with politics. It's time for a third party, if the right person comes along.

Absolutely, but I'm starting to think it is going to take more than a change of leadership. There needs to be a paradigm shift in our thinking. We are getting there, but so far, those who have made the shift aren't in government at all.

I like Ron Paul, but he doesn't seem to have
the strength to stick with a fight to the end. I'm disgusted that even the best-meaning politicians (are there any?...politics seems to attract selfish narcissists) have to compromise their ideals and get down in the dirt to get anything done. The Kennedys, I think, always cast a bit of a taint on the good they did by acting like a bunch of rich frat boys.

I totally agree.

I agree that if you aren't born a Kennedy, the best way to succeed is "independent of the system". But we are brainwashed from a young age to think that 'success' means a big house, fancy car, 80 hour a week job, and lots of 'stuff'. My definition of 'success' is much different (and much more internalized...health, doing things I enjoy, not having to punch a timeclock or answer to anyone, and never again doing work that I don't believe in); it looks like poverty and a hard life to many people, but to me, being a materialist 'wage slave' is the hard life. Following that 'different drummer' can be lonely, as I'm sure you and many on this list have found, too.

I have a 30 year class reunion coming up. If you don't mind, I'd like to steal your definition of success...
Thanks for chiming in, Lynn.
Bev

--
Sleep well tonight, for somewhere in the ocean's depths, MY son is protecting your freedom on the USS Key West, currently deployed somewhere in the Pacific and/or Indian Ocean. Go Navy!
EarthNSky Farm, NW Georgia, USA