homestead - Re: [Homestead] Technology, was Tractors was: A homestead plan

  • From: "Lynn Wigglesworth" <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Technology, was Tractors was: A homestead plan
  • Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 17:04:51 -0400

From: <Clansgian AT wmconnect.com>
"Wait, don't be
lifting all that wood, I'll get the tractor with the bucket." Go for the
tractor, start the tractor, scoot all the wood into a pile, lift it, and it makes
a poor load since it is not stacked well." Took about twenty minutes all
together. Next load I didn't wait for him to show, I simply tossed the
pieces in the truck and it took about five minutes. As the last piece of wood
was put in the truck, he came rumbling up on his beloved tractor ... "Ah,
man, I could have loaded that for you and saved you all that time!" Nothing
... nothing in heaven above or earth beneath would convince him that I'd
loaded the truck in a quarter of the time it took him.

But, but, but....you had to use muscle. Actual human muscle and energy. I had that argument with my ex more times than I can remember. He'd spend more time fooling around with some machine than it would take to just do it by hand. Or he'd insist on using the tractor to haul wood to the house instead of using my garden cart...and leave nasty big ruts in the lawn. All to avoid breaking a sweat (and he could sure use the exercise).

It amazes me how terrified some people are of physical work these days. The world seems to be dividing into people who do physical things and people who don't. I'm 53 and pretty lazy; but have had people 10-15 years younger than me tell me that they "could never" do the every day physical things I do. Sheesh; no wonder so many people are so unhealthy; they don't move enough to get their blood circulating.

Lynn Wigglesworth
Tioga Co. PA