homestead - Re: [Homestead] Technology, was Tractors was: A homestead plan

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Technology, was Tractors was: A homestead plan
  • Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 16:33:31 -0400

Clansgian AT wmconnect.com wrote:
I quarted, thin sliced, and
chopped the entire stack of cabbages. It is admittedly a practiced regimen. But once the hands know it, it is deadly efficient. In a short time I was wiping up the board and knife and one of the people gabbing there remarked, "I can't believe you made slaw out of all that cabbage with just a knife while we've been standing here!" Yet
people are so convinced that the Slice'em Dice'em Chop-o-matic just HAS to be so much faster than a knife, there's no reason to even consider the latter.

On TV the other night, on the reality show, "There Goes the
Neighborhood" I saw a woman supposedly cutting up chicken for dinner. I
could NOT stop laughing. Obviously, this woman had never cut chicken or
any other meat in her life. It appeared to be a boneless breast, and
she couldn't even half it! I'd bet she had never cut anything with a
knife, and she was at least 35 years old. Now there is a woman who eats
out. It is typical of our society.
BTW, I usually hate this type of reality show, and I would not recommend
this one, but watched it only because it was filmed in my old stomping
grounds, real close to where I moved from before we lived here...It's
filmed down in Kennesaw.

Now, as a contrast to this, and since it pertains to the thread, I have
to say that I was totally amazed at a machine I used the other day. My
friend and I were processing apples with a corer/peeler/slicer that
mounts on the counter. WOW. I had heard of these things and seen them,
but I would not have believed that it would work faster than a skilled
peeler with a sharp knife. Not only was it faster, but there was
relatively no waste. I gotta get me one of those! I could slice apples
for drying in no time!

And yet I knew that
even if he saw it with his own eyes, he'd still be walking in a world
where the string trimmer was faster and less work.

My shoulder and bicep hurt right now from a weedeater. Faster and less
work is arguable when you feel the work two days later. Also, talking
about food processors, they are usually a bitch to clean. Knives are
much easier, if you, as you do, have the skill.

For day to day reminders to aid my rapidly failing short term memory,
I beging the day with a blank sheet of copy paper folded in quarters which gives me eight writing surfaces. That with a pencil keeps my shop notes, kitchen notes, and garden notes so I don't keep showing up in a rush somewhere and ask myself, "What was it I came here for?"
At the end of the day the sheet is dated, unfolded and put in a notebook and constitutes a fairly accurate daily record of what's going on around here.

Cool.

Bev
--
Sleep well tonight, for somewhere in the ocean's depths, MY son is
protecting your freedom on the USS Key West, currently deployed