homestead - Re: [Homestead] Technology, was Tractors was: A homestead plan

  • From: "roxann" <roxann AT ancientearthwisdom.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Technology, was Tractors was: A homestead plan
  • Date: Thu, 20 Aug 2009 14:48:37 +0000

Hi Bev,

In my new house, even though there is room, I don't have a dishwasher. The
reason I did consider getting one is because I think it may use less water
than washing by hand. But then the detergents that I'd have to use in it are
not so friendly to the environment and our septic still leaches too fast to
be effective at filtering all the phosphates that might get in there. I try
to use no-phos laundry det, too, and most make it without now. With all four
of us here, the dishes are still manageable by hand and when I'm alone after
they grow up, I don't think I'll make many dirty either. The only time it's
really nice is when you have company and eat large meals. But then we usually
wash, dry, and put away in assembly line fashion and the time spent doing it
is quality together time for the women or whoever is helping do it.

Roxann, NW AR
http://blog.ancientearthwisdom.com (Ozark Musings from the homestead)