homestead - [Homestead] potato Q

  • From: Leslie <cayadopi AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] potato Q
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 11:34:59 -0700 (PDT)

newbie question here.............

I see how when I pick the new potatoes off, that some more little spuds start
above, higher and higher up the stem.

Now, some of the leafy tops have completely died, and some are 1/4 to 1/2
dead.

The question is,,,,,,,,,,,,, do the spuds underground keep growing if the top
part of the plant is dead?

The reason I ask is I just took a shovel and dug up two of the dead looking
ones (they've been dead for a week).... and to my surprise there were a bunch
of little potatoes,,,, small but I ate them for lunch and made a whole
meal,,,, and there were more of those little stolon things, and I could have
sworn there weren't any left last time I checked these two plants a few weeks
ago.

Either I didn't look close........... or it leads to my question.  If the
tops are dead can the little spuds underground keep growing?