homestead - Re: [Homestead] Hand pump on well

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Hand pump on well
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jul 2009 13:21:23 EDT

> >It is a bit less than 32 feet, there are charts that give the distance
> as a
> function of altitude.

Don, I may or may not be disagreeing with you, can't tell. The THEORETICAL
maxium lift from netagive pressure at sea level is 33.9 feet, somewhat more
than the 32 feet I use as a rule of thumb.

It's the weight of water divided by the atmospheric pressure. Atmospheric
pressure at sea level is 14.7 lb/in2 and the weight of water (at 60 deg F
at sea level) is .0361 lb/in3. Dividing the one into the other gives 407.28
inches or about 33.9 feet.

Of course, the PRACTICAL lift for any actual pump is per force going to be
less than that. Most pitcher pump makers list 25 feet as the maximum
probably so the buyer isn't disappointed with the results.

But I have fond most estimates of the practical lift to be too pessimistic.
At my elevation I have got the pump to work at 27.5 feet (with carefully
cleaned and fitted valves and well aligned foot valve. But the amount of
water I can get for the amount of work at 24 feet is much, much less.

James