homestead - Re: [Homestead] Censorship coming

  • From: Leslie <cayadopi AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Censorship coming
  • Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2009 10:45:05 -0700 (PDT)

Paradigm shift - well put.  I agree that the shift is "inevitable and is
irrespective of who's in office and what their policies are."  Unfornately
the root cause of the paradigm shift is not grasped by the masses.  History
repeats.  Geez the cause of the paradigm shift is even documented in the
Bible in Genesis.  The social paradigm shifted first many decades ago which
has caused the current economic shift.  I seriously doubt either are
reversible at this point.

I have heard about google's o/s also.  It will be interesting to see how many
other software companies will get around to writing programs based on it.  I
know the software I use the most only runs on windows, so I've not had a
choice for years.  I was always surprised they didn't support mac... but it
costs money to write for different o/s I suppose....

I think most the the city/suburban/exurban folks have no clue what's coming
down the road for them.

I just now catching up on several weeks of email that piled up.  Someone
mentioned something about homeless people camping in tents.  So true.  This
is a big over winter camping area for RVs also.  I noticed there is a much
higher fill rate on the RV campgrounds in the area compared to last year.
Many of them are close to full, which is unheard of in July.  Next time I
should stop and ask if they have an increase in full-timers year round types.
Last year there were only about 5-10 RVs in each park.

At the local alternator repair shop, which services commercial and auto for a
250 mile plus area... business is way down.  Biz has virtually stopped at the
mines (copper etc).  The shop owner is worried, as he's been there for 30
+years and has never seen a slow down like this.  The number of local
businesses closing seems to have slowed.  But I think that is temporary as
Wave 2 of economic problems should be getting underway in a more noticeable
manner in about 2 months.

I think I wrote before that a local LP company is having trouble getting
parts, his suppliers have been going out of biz.

I wish I was much further along in getting as close to the homesteading level
as possible for this area.   At least I'm finding what grows easily here, and
what I've had trouble with so far.

I do live in a big commercial farming area.  I know from history what should
happen to them under certain economic conditions as massive studies have
already been published about what happens to farming under hyperinflation
scenarios if that unfolds.  I wonder if any of them will be able to adapt to
a paradigm shift....  I do believe we are in a depression (based on real
world unemployment numbers), but the government piling on more and more debt,
and more and more policies that closes more businesses just opens the door
for hyperinflation further.

(Shall we guess?  The government will hand out food to starving masses, and
print money to pay for it, causing inflation at the farmer's supply levels,
causing the government to "do something" a/k/a subsidize the farmers, paid
for by printing more money, causing food prices paid for by the government
for the hand outs to starving masses, causing them to print more money to pay
for it, causing .... repeat and repeat.... until systemic collapse.)

On another front, at the current Chinese population growth rate, it isn't so
far off in the future that they will consume nearly all resources.  Talk
about a big motivator for being a homesteader and stocking up on shovels,
etc.  :-)

I have signed up for a how-to-do-it-yourself solar class in the fall at the
local college.  The 2 biggest things I worry about here are pumping up water
from the well, and refrigeration and freezing.  Last month the power company
has raised prices for a 4th time in 12 months (overall a 33% increase in
electric costs in one year... "inflation is around the corner is here...).

I know with planning I can grow food.  What I haven't been able to do is
figure out a way to create something to be used in a direct-exchange
environment.

Hey, I was watching an old western yesterday, The Magnificent Seven.  In that
movie the mexican women were "scrubbing" corn cobs against something that
looked like small round stones cemented to a (wash)board.  What I couldn't
tell is if they were just rubbing whole kernels off the cobs,,,, or if they
were somehow rough grinding the corn.  Anyone know how they used to do it?