homestead - Re: [Homestead] healthy fats

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: cayadopi AT yahoo.com, homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] healthy fats
  • Date: Fri, 01 May 2009 11:38:18 -0400

First off, there are bacon pig breeds and lard pigs, and almost no one
raises lard pig breeds anymore. About the best you can do is a cross,
but that's like saying that my Black Australorps are good meat
birds...it is not the best option. There is usually not much leftover
fat off a typical bacon pig(it is within the cut-marbled) Secondly, God
only knows what someone else would feed their pig...you can bet that
pesticide wormers would be in the fat, along with antibiotics and other
nasties. Rendering lard is a day long process, and without a lot of
lard, I would think it would hardly be worth the effort...Getting that
much lard might require more than one bacon type pig.

Leslie wrote:
Q. for anyone making their own lard.

I saw on a website the recommedation to only use homegrown pigs, and
do not use fat purchased from a local butcher. Any particular reason
anyone can think of?

I like making my own bread, and my grandmother used lard and her
bread was incredible in flavor. But when I tried lard from the
grocery store YUK! The flavor was horrible (it wasn't rancid... just
horrible).

--- On Fri, 5/1/09, Clansgian AT wmconnect.com <Clansgian AT wmconnect.com>
wrote: I greatly prefer lard but in years when we have no pigs or not
enough pigs, it becomes precious stuff reserved for biscuits and pie
crusts.

--
"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public
debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered

--Cicero, 55 BC
http://erthnsky.blogspot.com/