homestead - Re: [Homestead] healthy fats

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] healthy fats
  • Date: Fri, 01 May 2009 11:40:50 -0400

If you would, James, since you know this stuff like the back of your hand and I would have to look up smoke points and all of that, can you give a run down comparison of the various oils one could use for deep frying? Peanut, corn, soybean, safflower, etc...

Bev

Clansgian AT wmconnect.com wrote:

..... until recently. We had been using coconut oil for deep frying due to wanting to conserve the good lard for other things. Then during the run up in fuel prices, they started making diesel out of every bit of nutritional fat on the planet and the price of a quart of coconut oil shot up from $3.35 to over $8. Forget that. So we switched to soybean oil in the fryer. Nothing much wrong with soybean oil in extreme moderation, but it is not stable when heated. It tends to polymerize and some say the heating in the metal vessel causes some hydrogenation. Even cutting back on deep fried foods quite a bit, it began getting to me.

--
"The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance."

--Cicero, 55 BC
http://erthnsky.blogspot.com/