homestead - Re: [Homestead] healthy fats

  • From: VAN DELL JORDAN <vdjor AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] healthy fats
  • Date: Fri, 1 May 2009 08:29:17 -0700 (PDT)

--- On Fri, 5/1/09, Clansgian AT wmconnect.com <Clansgian AT wmconnect.com> wrote:

> Since coconut oil is now back down to an affordable price,
> we've ditched
> the soybean oil in favor of it once again. The only real
> solution is more
> pigs and more lard.
>
> Less catfish is not an option.
>

> James

My Dad said that when he was a kid c 1920 they killed up to a dozen hogs each
year, and the hogs were fatter than ones we killed in 50s. Sometimes that
wasn't enough and they still had to buy lard.
There were only six in the family, though, knowing my grandmother, I'm sure
anyone who was within hollering distance of the house within an hour of
mealtime wound up eating with them.

Van Dell