homestead - Re: [Homestead] healthy fats

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] healthy fats
  • Date: Fri, 1 May 2009 10:27:37 EDT

> >Am I clearing it up or muddying it up?<g>

Yes, I figured it was more or less along those lines. You really do have
to get back to the center for the ususal rules to apply. I know this all
too well. During the years I was Mr. Commuter daily, I fell into the bad
habit of picking up a biscuit on the way into town rather than eating my own
food. The biscuits were made with shortening. Just that one biscuit two or
three times a week was wrecking my digestion. The turning point came when I
ate one of the doughnuts someone was always leaving in the coffee room,
commercial doughnuts which are made of shortening and a few insignificant
amounts of other ingredients. I became violently puking ill, identified the
culprit, and toed the line from then on out eating only whole wheat homestead
biscuits made with lard and butter. All the digestive problems cleared up in
a few weeks and did not return ......

..... until recently. We had been using coconut oil for deep frying due to
wanting to conserve the good lard for other things. Then during the run up
in fuel prices, they started making diesel out of every bit of nutritional
fat on the planet and the price of a quart of coconut oil shot up from $3.35
to over $8. Forget that. So we switched to soybean oil in the fryer.
Nothing much wrong with soybean oil in extreme moderation, but it is not
stable when heated. It tends to polymerize and some say the heating in the
metal
vessel causes some hydrogenation. Even cutting back on deep fried foods
quite a bit, it began getting to me.

Since coconut oil is now back down to an affordable price, we've ditched
the soybean oil in favor of it once again. The only real solution is more
pigs and more lard.

Less catfish is not an option.

James