homestead - Re: [Homestead] Small Farm Renaissance

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Small Farm Renaissance
  • Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2009 10:54:29 -0400

I had an entirely different take on the article. From a subsistence
standpoint, or from small CSA participatory standpoint, I think there
really will be more diversity than in years past. In the 1930's or
1950's, Southerners would grow, peas, beans, tomatoes, corn, and squash
and maybe turnips or spinach. No one grew green manures like rape or
mustard(now it is everywhere). When I moved here, none of my neighbors
grew asparagus and they did not even know what Swiss Chard was(neither
did I until I joined this list), but now, people I know have put in
asparagus beds and several now grow chard and winter squashes like
spaghetti squash. The internet's knowledge base allows one to shorten
the learning curve and many more folks have small plots, even if they
only grow tomatoes. People have learned that you can grow some things
out of their 'region', like Vidalia or Walla Walla onions if your soil
is similar. I never saw carrots in the gardens of my youth, and 90% of
folks in my middle class neighborhood had gardens when I was a kid. I
don't know why people grew somethings and not others, but now, there is
more variety swapping/trying and seed saving. I had never even heard of
winter squash when I was growing up-I had no idea that pumpkins would be
winter squashes. Thanks to Susan Jane in Maine, I'm even growing beets.
Thanks to international aisles in grocery stores, I'm growing
tomatillos, another crop I'd never even heard of 15 years ago but that
is very well suited for my area. In the old days, probably every corn
farmer in my county grew one or two varieties only of corn. Now, there
are probably dozens of varieties being grown. I know folks who grow
bitter melons and Asian greens. I think the article's emphasis on
non-competitive niches is right on target for those interested in income.

Bev

bobf wrote:
It would be nice if it became truer, Lynn. That was an interesting article Sandy linked, but , like you, I think the gov't will continue
to impose even more controls on the food supply.