homestead - Re: [Homestead] Ethanol / Biofuel

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Ethanol / Biofuel
  • Date: Sun, 8 Mar 2009 10:00:21 -0800

Well, then they need to switch to high compression engines like the diesel engines. Ethanol is produces more MPGs if run in a high compression engine.

HOWEVER, this whole love affair with ethanol and gasoline engines to me is just so much stupidity. We have diesel engines which run for 500,000 to a million miles with few if any problems. Biodiesel has very little loss in MPGs and you can produce biodiesel from the same source(s) as ethanol.

Those little VW Rabbit diesels got well over 40 mpg.

We already have the technology to produce HIGH mpg vehicles but the car companies refuse to produce them because they want to produce throw-away vehicles that have to be replaced on a routine basis inorder to create repeat business. The sheople are now programmed for "bigger is better" and "new is better" and the whole consumerism stupidity.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Don Bowen" <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>

Well, unless you are going to use switch grass or some of the other high
BTU generating stuff to make your own ethenol.

It does not matter what your feed stock is, ethanol has so many BTUs per
gallon with little varience. None of those pie in the sky dreams using
switch grass, corn, sorghum, roadside weeds, whatever are going to preserve
happy motoring.