homestead - Re: [Homestead] So what do we do?

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] So what do we do?
  • Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2009 00:02:02 -0500

Marie McHarry wrote:

I think we can probably quit worrying about terrorism, etc. When the ecosystem shafts us, we're in deep doodoo. Have any of you given this
consideration? In practical terms, I mean.

Marie

I do worry, and I have given it thought. There are some who would say
this, too, is fear driven, but like those who are concerned for their
grandchildren's fiscal future, I am concerned for my grandbaby's
ecological future and health.
I do think terrorism and ecology are more closely linked than most folks
realize. There is even ecoterrorism. They say one man's terrorist is
another man's freedom fighter. Could be.

IMO, Saddam Hussein was a terrorist. This flies in the face of
those who don't believe we should have invaded Iraq, but the man
committed more crimes against the planet than any one person I can think
of, and if genocide wasn't a good enough reason for removing him from
power, then crimes against Gaia should be. In addition to dynamiting
and then lighting off all those oil wells, he destroyed an entire
ecosystem, the Mesopotamian swamps and lowlands of southern Iraq, in an
effort to kill the indigenous peoples-the Marsh Arabs- of that region
who were Shiite and more loyal to Iran(they tried to overthrow Saddam)
Why haven't you heard about this,,,,because those swamps covered a vast
oil field, and to exploit that, the swampwater is diverted and of
course, with the way goes fish, plants, and an entire ancient culture.
You can read one account here:
http://www.landandwater.com/features/vol47no5/vol47no5_1.php

Every time a terrorist attack occurs, we have an ecological disaster.
Those who volunteered to clean up the WTC are now suffering from
exposure to asbestos and other problems. I can't even think about
another anthrax attack or a dirty bomb or God forbid a nuclear attack.
All of those things would change our world and possibly create
ecosystems hostile to humanity<g>. Think about Chernobyl, and anthrax
could be even worse.

When it comes to natural climate change(and for the same of this email,
I categorize indirect human caused climate change as natural just as I
would solar induced climate change), I agree with Lynn's comments. We
have to be flexible and conserve the resources we have. If there is a
flash change from a tipping point event, my trivial knowledge of Alaska
might come in handy.<g>

I am where I want to be. I am where I expect to die. When the kids
were little, I had a bug out bag and made mental plans of what I would
do if...(and the IF kept changing...but for example...if the nuke plant
over in Alabama had an accident or if the bioweapons at Redbone (also
over in Alabama) were unleashed or attacked...yada yada yada)
Now, while I hope to live to teach my grandbaby all the stuff I know, I
don't consider surviving a national disaster to be as critical as I once
did. I really do wonder what decision I would make in that critical
survival moment where you decide whether or not you want to live or die.
The older I get, the less important I become. BUT, if I did find
myself in a situation where I was not in immediate danger, but was still
forced to move, I suppose I would move to Alaska or Canada.

Bev

--
"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will
not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius

~ Calvin Coolidge