homestead - Re: [Homestead] So what do we do?

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] So what do we do?
  • Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2009 11:06:43 -0700

On Feb 12, 2009, at 3:07 PM, Marie McHarry wrote:

Mother Jones had this article on the coming changes in weather:
http://www.motherjones.com/environment/2008/11/diet-warm-planet
. . . . I think we can probably quit worrying about terrorism, etc. When the
ecosystem shafts us, we're in deep doodoo. Have any of you given this
consideration? In practical terms, I mean.

Want to rate worries? Seems to me the bigger issue is falling oxygen levels. Do you like to breathe?

I've looked for maps to instruct readers on projected climate change. Not much found that is very useful except in general terms: in drought areas there will be more droughts; in rainy areas there will be more rain; in violent wind areas, more of that. As for rising temperatures I am all for it; I would love to grow citrus at Heartwood.

Reduced individual energy usage will come due to the pain of rising prices but increasing population may negate that gain. As with many issues, there are viable community responses. My electric co-op has the right idea. We get our electricity through a consortium of utilities that own coal-fired generating facilities. Last year we had a light bulb swap: for every incandescent bulb turned in, members received a new CFL unit. The board found that reduced load means lower overhead today and less cost in the future by eliminating the need for new generator capacity. It's a win-win plan that means less coal will be burned. The calculations to sell members on the plan may be found at:
http://www.serviceconcepts.coop/coopcustom/cflpaybackhowell-oregon.htm

Besides the present economic focus, most Americans are too conditioned by consumptive lifestyles and day-to-day issues to take global warming seriously. Most of us do what makes us feel good, as with recycling and reusing and wearing stuff out. Lifestyle change will be resisted. We homesteaders live sensibly but will always be a tiny minority.

Expect change. Be prepared. Become ever more independent.

Gene GeRue
www.RURALIZE.com