homestead - Re: [Homestead] So what do we do?

  • From: "Lynn Wigglesworth" <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] So what do we do?
  • Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 19:51:55 -0500

I think we can probably quit worrying about terrorism, etc. When the
ecosystem shafts us, we're in deep doodoo. Have any of you given this
consideration? In practical terms, I mean.

In practical terms, I think all we control is ourselves. For me it comes down to being part of the problem or part of the solution. I have a very small footprint and try to contribute what I can, in terms of maintaining lots of open space with trees and grass (sucking up CO2), improving the soil and stopping runoff, providing healthy local food, even if people don't appreciate it.

Climate change is going to happen. We have to get used to it. People will eventually move, when life isn't viable where they are, and stealing water from other places becomes impossible. For every desert that becomes unlivable, there are northern places with lush forests and plenty of water that are warming up a zone or two. The northeast has been losing population for decades; maybe that will change.

Lynn Wigglesworth
Tioga Co. PA