homestead - [Homestead] Winter..

  • From: Rob <becida AT comcast.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Winter..
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2009 02:10:03 -0800

Almost the middle of winter and my Homestead mailbox has almost 1400 messages in it. Several new names on the messages, it's good to see new people.

I was just wondering how folks were doing this winter. I was just checking the temps of places I follow, down below zero in Bemidji MN and even Key West and Maui are having some colder lows, well colder for them anyway <g>. When you are used to 75-85 most of the year, the low 60's is cold.
I looked at the high in Bemidji of +1 and thought about how good that "+" felt after a week of minus temps, I don't miss that at all. We are 1500 miles due west of where we lived in Minnesota (plus or minus a minute or two in latitude) and I really like the effect of the Pacific ocean on these temps <g>.
This last week I've seen a couple of pickups & pickup with a trailer loaded up with small square bales of hay, several loads of firewood and a couple of trailers with firewood for sale. Signs of winter out here.
It's below freezing here right now but dry. Just before Christmas we had snow, more than we've had in 4 years. Down by the bay the snow collapsed a bunch of hoop houses on a place, heavy sea level snow is unusual for around here. The weather guessing are talking about snow next week, we'll see.

I hope you are all doing well this winter, spring is just a 'few' weeks away.

Rob

becida AT comcast.net
Western Washington State, USA