homestead - Re: [Homestead] Anthropology

  • From: sjc <indexer AT fairpoint.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Anthropology
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 17:50:05 -0500

EarthNSky wrote:
.........It just made me rethink the Polynesian connection to the population and exploration of the Americas. Maybe mankind originally came across the Bering land bridge, ............
Bev, I've read several accounts (well, actually, kid did when I was still homeschooling) that posit that while Siberian-Bering migrations were taking place, a Polynesian migration to Chile populated parts of SA, and the two gradually moved toward the "middle" .

It seems to me that at some point there was a KonTiki-like experiment executed at one time to support that theory, but I don't think of the name of it.
I know when I was in Hawaii, on Hawaii Island actually, those little buggers of kids about 8-10 years old went on these tiny little cupped circles of boats only about 3' across, and they'd be way out there in the waves where you had to have binoculars to see them, and they'd stay all day out there, sometimes fishing and sometimes just horsing around. I'm sure glad I didn't have little kids at the time; I'd have quickly become known as an overprotective mother; I'd much rather my kids in the woods and fields. Anyway, they were so comfortable out there that I can well imagine their ancestors just sort of taking off....

Interesting that you made the connection in music. I'm a musical moron, having had none in my life as a child, don't ever really think about it much, other than for the singer/songwriter/folksong stuff, and then of course, it's words that get my attention rather than the music.

SJ