homestead - Re: [Homestead] Political Qualifications?

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Political Qualifications?
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 00:26:59 -0800

Who knows. There are so many factors. If the U.S. crumbles, then it will be a domino effect. While some folks think China will rise up, I don't because they depend on sales to the U.S. and other countries that will fall because the U.S. fell. Plus countries such as Israel, So. Korea, etc. will fall. Perhaps a modern equivalent of the Dark Ages? The demise of the middle and upper working classes and the traditionally defined middle class. The poor always survive because they have traditionally gotten by on little or nothing.

I really don't give it much thought as there is little I can do to change things in the big picture. So, I prepare my family. Not in the bugout bag sense but rather in the self-sufficient homesteading style. I'm teaching classes in homesteading skills (canning, scratch cooking, etc.) to local kids. It is amazing how few have parents that have a clue. Next month we'll be teaching the kids cold-process soap making.

We've done quilting, sewing (still doing sewing), darning, dying, spinning. Last year we taught book repair. The year before, tanning.

What do you see happening as or after the whole thing tumbles down?