homestead - Re: [Homestead] Creeks

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Creeks
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 09:02:13 -0700

On Jan 13, 2009, at 8:29 AM, Clansgian AT wmconnect.com wrote:

Yes, that creek is enchanted.

It never been completely dry and there was
always enough water in the basin to water the garden. I've gotten turned around back in the mountains and wound my way out by finding that creek and following it back to my place.

For anyone who hikes in wild places: if you become hopelessly lost, just keep going downhill. This will take you to a branch that may lead to bigger waterways but will certainly, eventually, lead to a road.

Unless you have sufficient supplies. In that case, meander more and enjoy.

The terrain it goes through is unbelievable. For the last two miles before it gets to my place it is a tight notch between mountains where the sun surely shines no more than an hour a day. It makes its way
through laural thickets, over and under skrees of boulders, and under huge
canopies of hemlock trees. One reason it never dries up or much abates is probably that it has no opportunity to evaporate.

Streams that originate in wild places are best both for dependability and quality. Your little stream is likely the result of a thousand or more acres upon which rain percolates down into many tiny collector rivulets that coalesce and then emerge as springs to feed the aboveground waterway. Such a stream is of infinite value.

I take great joy in walking up a stream, best on a hot day and wearing old sneakers firmly laced. On such journeys one finds many side springs coming into the branch, often so low they are easily missed, the number greater during the period immediately after heavy rains. The rocky footing forces slow speed, which maximizes immersion into the natural world.

"Enchanted" is accurate.

Gene GeRue
www.RURALIZE.com