homestead - Re: [Homestead] Creeks

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Creeks
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 10:29:23 EST

> Tell
> me again how much land you have there?

Twenty acres.

> Does that impoundment where you pump water to the garden remain flowing
> through the heat of summer?

Yes, that creek is enchanted. It never been completely dry and there was
always enough water in the basin to water the garden. I've gotten turned
around
back in the mountains and wound my way out by finding that creek and
following
it back to my place. The terrain it goes through is unbelievable. For the
last two miles before it gets to my place it is a tight notch between
mountains
where the sun surely shines no more than an hour a day. It makes its way
through laural thickets, over and under skrees of boulders, and under huge
canopies of hemlock trees. One reason it never dries up or much abates is
probably
that it has no opportunity to evaporate.