homestead - Re: [Homestead] Firewood cutting underway

  • From: Robert Walton <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Firewood cutting underway
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 07:11:07 -0500

> How many trees total need to be cut to provide firewood for one winter?

Depends on the trees, the winter and the size of the house. I can say
more for me that you. I'm OK with a couple of cords of wood, but
usually need more as I use wood in the outdoor ktichen most of the
summer. A lot of that is "junk" wood.

Size of house is self explanatory (includes insulation, how warm you
keep it). Different species of wood give off more or less heat. Google
"firewood btus"

> Ticks - yuck, sends shivers up my spine... hate those things...

I have guineas and chickens, but have 35 acres. They don't go very
deep in the woods. They have done a good job in the pastures and in
the woods closer to their home.

Rob - Va