homestead - Re: [Homestead] Firewood cutting underway

  • From: "Robert Walton" <waltonrp AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Firewood cutting underway
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 07:46:02 -0500

> But the best one is that if you cut firewood on a full moon while the
> moon is in Leo, the wood will last a long time and put out a lot of
> heat. Just so you know, the moon is now Full and in Cancer, but moves
> into Leo tomorrow. You were very, very close, so I think you will have
> good 'luck' with the wood you cut. It might be an interesting
> experiment to set aside some oak from this weekend's work and then cut a
> tree, say in March (for a conventional 'control') and then see which one
> burns the best next year. You could even be really scientific about it
> and weigh the wood for moisture. That's the kind of nerdy thing I would
> do..lol..

Glad I got it close :>) Close and no ticks, I'm good. That is a good
experiment. I might try it.

I know about doing things by the moon. How do you know when the moon
is in a particular sign?

>> I've got 25 acres of woods, it's nice to get out in it and start to
>> manage some of what's growing there.
>

> I'm almost overwhelmed with that task, but thanks for the reminder that
> I need to get busy on that.

I was out hunting around New Years, which since I don't have a stand,
turned into scouting where to put a stand. I really spent some time in
the woods and realized how big it is and how may trees that need to be
taken out. Thinning. Now is a great time to see how things really are
in your wood lot. No leaves let you really see what is there. I'm
working on two areas this year. I'm starting to make a logging road.
I'll start in these two spots and make a big arc meeting in the back
of the woods.

When I'm done, I'd like to have a path that makes a big arc around the place.

Rob - Va