homestead - [Homestead] was Random thoughts about the day, now tote sleds

  • From: sjc <indexer AT fairpoint.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] was Random thoughts about the day, now tote sleds
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 14:26:30 -0500

Not Lynn, but I too use a tote sled for just about anything in the winter---take it to the car (don't park by house but out by the road I have a parking pad) to bring feed down, or whatever. Bring wood up in it, give goats a ride when I have goats (they can't resist, even if you already have a full load in it), anything I need to haul when it's slick or snowy. Also use it in the summer when I'm working in the woods, as it rides over floor duff better than anything with wheels, and I think it less damaging (wheel ruts a PITA).

And, like Lynn, I see they've gone up by leaps and bounds.....all those oil products used? No clue. I have a huge fiberglass one that's now too big for me to manuever, the bed is 26X72". That sucker can really haul some goods, but I can no longer pull it when it's full. It had nylon runners that now need replacing. The others are smaller and both still in use, one for wood mostly, and the other I use for house-to-car and for hauling water for chickens and whatnot. Those 2 are snowmobile tote sleds, similar to but larger than the one shown at http://www.indianhill.com/winter.php If you wanted something like that, would have to order it online I guess, likely not too much call for a snowmobile tote down there....

I also use a garden cart in the summer, but not so often as the wheels are placed so that using it on hills is a real pain. I've been known to water the grass and use a sled over it instead, often easier for me. The laundry usually goes to the line in a wooden kid's type pullwagon but with balloon tires, and I use that wagon a lot in the summer but it isn't much more hill-friendly than the cart.

SJ, where it's 9ยบ right now and brilliantly sunny