homestead - Re: [Homestead] Firewood cutting underway

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Firewood cutting underway
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 11:08:31 -0800

That wouldn't be logical. In the fall when a tree begins to drop leaves is when they stop actively producing sap. Then the trees go dormant during the winter. During dormancy, what you see is what you get. When the days start getting longer and the trees start thinking about producing leaf buds, they begin to produce sap again and then go into full blown production as the buds leaf out.

And, the closer to the full moon, the more sap would run. Sap running works the same as the tides as far as the moon is concerned. So, *if* folk lore were to work, it would need to designate the dark of the moon.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Robert Walton" <waltonrp AT gmail.com>

I've heard that it's best to wait for the leaves to come out, so that the
sap is up in them, but I'm cutting know.

Why? Just curious.

The thought is that since there are no leaves now, the sap is in the
tree. Wetter wood. When the leaves come out a lot of the sap moves up
to the leaves. Less wet wood.

There are lots of theories over when to cut firewood. Another is to
cut in the light of the moon. I missed that by a day also. :>)

My theory is to get it done before the ticks and chiggers are up!

We keep forgetting that we've got a tractor and could do that, nor are we
yet comfortable with the tractor but we'll get there. Right now it's
s.o.g.g.y around here but we're glad for the rain. Running water from the
well or spring is a very good thing.

The tractor was a great help. That way I can get the logs out to where
I want to stack the wood for drying. It's wet here too, so had to be
real careful with the tractor. I'm still thinking horse!

Rob - Va