homestead - Re: [Homestead] Random thoughts about the day

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: vdjor AT yahoo.com, homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Random thoughts about the day
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 13:49:17 -0500

VAN DELL JORDAN wrote:

We had a retractable close line to hang on one wall, pull the cord out and hook on other wall until done using. depends on where you put it in what room, whether it was in the way.

I actually have one outside, but never thought of putting one inside,
great idea. I actually might move the outdoor one inside.

My mother hung clothes outside all winter unless it was actually raining, then she hung them in my bedroom, a larger large room in the back of the house. Either in or outdoors clothes would often "freeze dry" you could pick up a towel by one corner and it would be
stiff as cardboard until you folded it up.

Today, we only have 50% humidity, but usually we have upwards of 70%
humidity. Drying clothes under those conditions in winter or summer is
tough...
I used to have an outdoor clothesline, but I took it down. Now, I just
use the deck rail if I want to hang something outdoors.

I've wondered about a line on pulleys, one end in the laundry room and the other outside. It would enter the house through a very narrow opening that could be shut once the clothes were outside on the line. You could stand inside to pin the clothes on the line and roll them outside until all is hung up, then close the shutter to the opening. Taking the clothes off the line would be the reverse of
that.

I've seen those things on TV and have always been fascinated. My laundry
and my bathroom are the same room. Washer and dryer are in the
bathroom, and location in the house as well as shrubbery outside prevent
putting a slit in the wall.

"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will
not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius
will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the
world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone
are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve
the problems of the human race"

~ Calvin Coolidge