homestead - Re: [Homestead] Random thoughts about the day

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Random thoughts about the day
  • Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 13:28:55 -0500

Lynn Wigglesworth wrote:
Hey Bev; I did almost nothing all weekend. I was going to rev up the
tractor and take a few bales of hay out to the animals before the
snow storm hit, but it started snowing Friday morning and snowed
until Sunday afternoon. My mother had a doctor's appointment on
Friday afternoon, and we drove around in almost white-out conditions.
The snow is too deep now to get to where the bales are stored...the
tractor can travel with a bale on the back (extra weight), but gets
stuck as soon as I put the bale down...a real catch-22. Fortunately I
planned ahead this time and put a few bales in the barn. So I've been
feeding hay in the barn. It's easier for me, but makes a mess in the
barn that I have to clean out later. It's fun to think of you raking
leaves; I haven't seen the ground since early December.

Well, I hadn't seen the ground either, that's why I was raking leaves!
When you live in the woods in the South, that's the equivalent to
shoveling snow! (not really, but it sounded good for a second)

The firewood on the porch it getting low, so I plan to bring a couple
sledsfull up...I was going to say "before the really cold weather
hits", but it was 4 degrees this morning.

What kind of sled do you use? I have a huge wheelbarrow that I put
large tiller tires on(for traction), but I know that wouldn't work in
heavy snow.
4 Degrees. IMO, that is bone chilling cold. We do see temps that cold
maybe one night a winter, but it is short-lived, usually. What is the
humidity like when it is single digit degrees up there?

I think you need to give the tumeric more time to work. Is it just
supposed to help with the inflammation, or is it supposed to work on
the root of the problem? I think anything that is benign and can cut
down on the amount of commercial drugs is a good thing. I don't know
how you can get so much done when you are in pain.

I have not stopped taking it. It should go to the root of the problem,
not just treat the symptoms, so I am not giving up hope yet. Taking
this much turmeric, even for just a week, has changed the way I smell
and it is a smell I will have to adjust to if I continue on with this
treatment. It is not a good smell. The curcumin is oozing from my
pores, lol.. But I am committed to giving it a good month long trial,
at least. If I see any improvement at all, I will obviously go longer.
I have to stay functional and moving though. Already I am slowing down,
like a rusting tin man. It took me 10-15 minutes(with pain) to bring in
wood for the day's fire this morning, a task that normally only takes 5
minutes or less sans pain.

I can't do a pushup, either. Even my couch potato son can do one...I
think it's something about the distribution of muscles. A woman's
strength is in the lower body. I've found that's true. I often can't
move a big round bale by putting my shoulder to it, but if I can lean
against another bale and get my feet against the bale, I can easily
push it with my legs. Of course it would be more convenient to have
the upper body strength to be able to heft a 100 pound sack on my
shoulder, but I don't think that's ever going to happen. The kid at
the feed store carries 100 pounds on his shoulder and a 50 pound bag
under each arm. Sigh. Maybe I should just go after a strong man instead of building up my own muscles...I can bat my eyes and play
the helpless female? Nobody who knows me would ever fall for that.
:-)

Don't do that. Don't act helpless.
I'm glad to hear that you can't do a pushup. It does make me feel
better. I am definitely stronger in my legs, and always have been.

"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will
not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius
will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the
world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone
are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve
the problems of the human race"

~ Calvin Coolidge