homestead - Re: [Homestead] Visit to an Earthship !

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Visit to an Earthship !
  • Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2009 14:08:28 -0800

The LDS sell oxygen removing packets for $12/100. They work great in smaller jars where you wouldn't put dry ice.

chemicals I was exposed to as well. It can be a tough job for those of
us in the lower ranks who work with toxic substances. If what you are
testing doesn't kill you, what you run the tests with can!

A gamma seal lid is a special lid for a 5 gallon bucket. If you google
it you will find a bazillion sites that sell them. If you have a local
food co-op, you might get them there. For all I know, Walmart sells
them now..but I don't know. I bought mine back in the early 90's.

There is something about bay that repels insects. I mentioned in
another post about greenhouse trees that I wanted a bay in there. Not
only are they pretty trees, slow growing and well suited for
greenhouses, but I am hoping that by planting them near the citrus and
poms will deter whiteflies, aphids, and other pests in the greenhouse.
Just a theory at this point, but I know it works well here in the house
with leaves in buckets of flour.

Dry ice is not a sustainable item. Some grocery stores sell it, I
understand, but I couldn't tell you where you would find it. I would
say check the yellow pages or do a google search.

Leslie wrote:
She is a chemist at a mine up in Silver City, NM. And she said she
is chemically sensitive, but I wondered if it was work avoidance,
since she is a chemist actively working at a mine......

THANKS............. now... more.

What is a gamma seal lid?

What do bay leaves to as far as weevils?

Are you saying you can store storing flour, as in white, wheat or rye
flours using dry ice also?

Where do I get dry ice?

And, how is dry ice sustainable if TSHTF??? I don't suppose there is
a way one can make dry ice at hom

--
"The world is my country, all mankind are my
brethren, and to do good is my religion."