homestead - Re: [Homestead] Greenhouse trees, was Speaking of Western medicine

  • From: "Lynn Wigglesworth" <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Greenhouse trees, was Speaking of Western medicine
  • Date: Sat, 10 Jan 2009 08:30:56 -0500

My greenhouse is turning into a tree farm :-) The floor is thick concrete,
so mine are all in raised beds. I make them out of pallets lined with
plastic and fill them with my 'special mix' (one of Eliot Coleman's
greenhouse soil recipies).

Ah ha! Could you, would you, share this Coleman's 'special mix' soil

I don't have my book handy, but the recipe wanted equal amounts of garden soil, sand, compost (I used more compost than recommended because I had a lot), and perlite, with small amounts of greensand, kelpmeal, lime, bonemeal, and bloodmeal. I've topped it off with more compost every year, but I think it's getting time to rejuvenate it with more of the trace minerals. It's pretty healthy-kooking, and full of earthworms and other life. It doesn't crust or compact and is still easy to dig (unlike my outdoor garden soil, which takes years to get to that state).

Lynn Wigglesworth