homestead - Re: [Homestead] Speaking of Western medicine, sort of

  • From: sjc <indexer AT fairpoint.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Speaking of Western medicine, sort of
  • Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2009 17:03:57 -0500

EarthNSky wrote:
I may be going to the store tomorrow. I will get two beets..one will be grated into salad, the other will get roasted. I've never eaten kohlrabi, what is that like? I have seen the broccoli rab...is that actually a hybrid or not? Do you roast kohlrabi, too?
Not usually, I prefer it raw: slaw, sticks for snacks, sliced in sandwich instead of lettuce which of course I don't have in winter. Tastes mildly cabbage-like, maybe a sort of mix cabbage/celery. It's OK steamed but to me no better than raw. And I like the crunch of it, esp this time of year as the crunch factor gets rare....

About broccoli raab, have tried it twice but gave it up as almost as much trouble as broccoli without being nearly so good as....we have an unbelievable variety of greens available, so I admit being spoiled in my greens choice. Also, have been influenced there by my SIL again, and really like a lot of the very small, long-season or season-stretching Asian greens and half or more of my greens now fall into that category.
When we had the deep fryer up and running and we fried some sweet potatoes like French fries, I sprinkled them with cayenne and I thought that was good..I'm sure the flavor would enhance it roasted, too.
Sounds good to fry and use hot seasoning. I never bother with frying as it takes a lot of oil, hard to produce here in any quantity, and quickly spoils once it's been so hot, so I guess it's been 20 years since I fried anything. I have had fried sweet potatoes though and boy, they were good, for sure. I'm drying sweet potatoes this week, as have plenty here that aren't going to be usable much longer, so the whole batch going in the dryer.

Bev (and others using turmeric), as to turmeric: the local Chinese-medicine fellow says that to get the good out of it, it must be heated with fats, it should be used with other foods as part of the diet.....I haven't followed that up, but it was one of the things I heard him mention at the coop last week when he gave a short talk on the traditional medical uses of various spices. Might, or might not, be worth looking into. The guy is new here but so far he seems OK.

SJ