homestead - Re: [Homestead] Speaking of Western medicine, sort of

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Speaking of Western medicine, sort of
  • Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2009 14:08:04 -0800

We LOVE kohlrabi! Like it in salads and I haven't the faintest how to describe the taste <g> They grow real easy.

I got a mandoline at the thrift store for about $5. It is the one that sells for $59 at Target. I'm going to make some sweet potato chips. And I'm going to try a casserole of sweet potatoes done like potatoes au grautin. The recipe sounded really good.

I may be going to the store tomorrow. I will get two beets..one will be
grated into salad, the other will get roasted. I've never eaten
kohlrabi, what is that like? I have seen the broccoli rab...is that
actually a hybrid or not? Do you roast kohlrabi, too? When we had the
deep fryer up and running and we fried some sweet potatoes like French
fries, I sprinkled them with cayenne and I thought that was good..I'm
sure the flavor would enhance it roasted, too.