homestead - Re: [Homestead] Speaking of Western medicine, sort of

  • From: sjc <indexer AT fairpoint.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Speaking of Western medicine, sort of
  • Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2009 14:45:49 -0500

EarthNSky wrote:
We had pickled beets at least twice a week when I was growing up. I really don't like them, but I have never eaten them grated or raw. I'lltry that. I do like the greens mixed in with other greens, though.
Beets are great roasted, just like you would a potato, my first favorite way to eat beets, although I like them most any way. I eat a lot of veggies that way in the winter and just now have a mixture of beets, parsnips, and carrots in the oven for supper. I use a teeny bit of oil and choice of herbs, for me, that is rosemary til I run out, then whatever's left....and often a mixture. Spices are good on some things, and often I go for a chili powder mix. I esp like a little chili on roasted sweet potato but David just about gagged when he tried it....to each his own. Ginger and dried, ground hot pepper is a combination my Vietnamese SIL got me started on and I use that sometimes. I also roast things plain and use with soup or some other leftover.

I like most root veggies, as well as good ol' cabbage, grated into a slaw, too. I have a good bit of kohlrabi around here right now that's looking like it needs to be used or lost soon, and grated some of that to go with my roasteds for supper.
There aren't just tons of wonderful things about living alone, but definitely one of them is that you can eat what you darn well please, for whatever meal you want it for....

SJ