homestead - Re: [Homestead] Speaking of Western medicine, sort of

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Speaking of Western medicine, sort of
  • Date: Fri, 09 Jan 2009 14:57:14 -0500

sjc wrote:
EarthNSky wrote:
We had pickled beets at least twice a week when I was growing up. I really don't like them, but I have never eaten them grated or raw. I'lltry that. I do like the greens mixed in with other greens, though.
Beets are great roasted, just like you would a potato, my first favorite way to eat beets, although I like them most any way. I eat a lot of veggies that way in the winter and just now have a mixture of beets, parsnips, and carrots in the oven for supper. I use a teeny bit of oil and choice of herbs, for me, that is rosemary til I run out, then whatever's left....and often a mixture. Spices are good on some things, and often I go for a chili powder mix. I esp like a little chili on roasted sweet potato but David just about gagged when he tried it....to each his own. Ginger and dried, ground hot pepper is a combination my Vietnamese SIL got me started on and I use that sometimes. I also roast things plain and use with soup or some other leftover.

I may be going to the store tomorrow. I will get two beets..one will be grated into salad, the other will get roasted. I've never eaten kohlrabi, what is that like? I have seen the broccoli rab...is that actually a hybrid or not? Do you roast kohlrabi, too? When we had the deep fryer up and running and we fried some sweet potatoes like French fries, I sprinkled them with cayenne and I thought that was good..I'm sure the flavor would enhance it roasted, too.

--
"The world is my country, all mankind are my
brethren, and to do good is my religion."