homestead - Re: [Homestead] Greenhouse trees, was Speaking of Western medicine

  • From: "Lynn Wigglesworth" <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Greenhouse trees, was Speaking of Western medicine
  • Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2009 17:49:14 -0500

So how much square footage have you alloted to your indoor tree farm?

Well, it's a converted dairy barn, so it's pretty large....the entire building is 75'x45'. The back (northern side) is the chicken coop...a narrow room between the greenhouse and the outside (most of my ideas are from Solviva). Most of the beds are in the front half . The back walls and ceiling are insulated and used for workspace and storage; the front (south side) are glazed with Lexan. The beds are about 24-30" deep, and are different sizes...the smallest are 4'x4' and the largest is 18'x5'. Along the south wall, I have 4 4'x8' aquaponic beds and a large pool with goldfish (was going to be tilapia, but heating the water costs too much). The aquaponic system is clogged somewhere (algae, no doubt), so I have to take it apart and clean it.

Lynn Wigglesworth
Tioga Co. PA