homestead - Re: [Homestead] Speaking of Western medicine, sort of

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Speaking of Western medicine, sort of
  • Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2009 11:17:45 -0800

I love prunes! Love beets. Use chard like I would bok choy since I can get the chard but can rarely get the bok choy. It cooks up nicely in stir fry. Love pomograntes anyway I can get them <g> I make a pumpkin soup and pumpkin bread and pumpkin/oat/bran muffins, so I figure those cover all the bases.

I had sardines just yesterday for lunch. I eat them on crackers and
'decorate' it with cayenne pepper or crushed red pepper. If my mood is
different, I'll add pickled jalepenos or lime or lemon or mustard or
something like creole seasoning. I also love mussels...
Sardines really are good with something hot...like chilis or mustard.
They are also cheap and the cans keep forever-very portable, too.
We had pickled beets at least twice a week when I was growing up. I
really don't like them, but I have never eaten them grated or raw. I'll
try that. I do like the greens mixed in with other greens, though.
I had sauerkraut day before yesterday,,,,I eat cabbage, kraut, and other
cole crops regularly.
Granted, I haven't had chard in almost a year, but I do like it and I
will be growing it this year. It is just something, for whatever
reason, I don't buy.
I love cinnamon...I usually sprinkle it on toast or in milk...day before
yesterday was the last time for that, too.
I have pom and cherry juice in the fridge...yum, and I think it helps my RA
Nope on the prunes...I just can't do that...but plums I devour straight
off the tree...
Pumpkin seeds are good, but I don't like pumpkin in general. I usually
eat the other winter squashes, though, so I still think I am ok in the
Vit A department, and I eat the squashes with cinnamon, too.
Blueberries are a given-there is probably still 5 gallons in the
freezer, at least. And I am starting to take turmeric, but honestly, I
haven't noticed anything yet. I've only taken it for 4 days, however. I
will try it on eggs like the article suggests.

So for me, I need to cultivate a taste for prunes and beets. I think I
will come closer to incorporating the beets into my regular diet easier
than prunes. Just thinking about prune juice makes me gag. I love
grapes, but not that fond of raisins, either....go figure. If anyone
has a recipe that uses either raw beets or prunes, and you think it
might convert me, post it. Thanks for list and the recipes..

Bev

--
"The world is my country, all mankind are my
brethren, and to do good is my religion."