homestead - [Homestead] What old homesteaders do for Christmas

  • From: sjc <indexer AT fairpoint.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] What old homesteaders do for Christmas
  • Date: Thu, 25 Dec 2008 21:30:38 -0500

at least here.

For the past few years those of us who homestead here who don't have family nearby have gotten together on Christmas day to eat. Rules are simple: Bring enough of something you grow to feed everybody (we do have someone to call each year to be sure there's a variety), and if your dog can't get along with others, leave it home or in the truck.

So this year we had cranberry cheddar cheese spread, whole wheat/sesame crackers,standing pork roasted (with Yorkshire--is it Yorkshire if made of pork?-- pudding), mashed potatoes, roasted parsnips, sweet potatoes, green beans, creamed cute teeny little onions, corn/hazelnut stuffing for the pork, butter, blueberry wine, a really good white grape wine, cherry brandy, and brandied-blueberry stollen. Of the whole thing, the stollen had cardamom and everything else, including the wheats this year, came from right here in the county. So we "done good"....it's always fun to remind ourselves just how good growing can be right here, where we are. The warm house was overfull of people (12) and dogs (8) but a good time was had by all. People and dogs all went home full and happy.

SJ