homestead - Re: [Homestead] medication / supplement combos and danger

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] medication / supplement combos and danger
  • Date: Thu, 25 Dec 2008 20:52:28 -0500

Thank you so much for this Wendy. I am one of those people who regularly has triglycerides in excess of 700. My cholesterol levels haven't been checked in a while, but I am currently awaiting results which will be my 'baseline' for the coming year.
It really irritates me that people make assumptions about things. Bad liver-oh you must drink (I don't)..High triglycerides- you must eat a lot of fatty food (I don't)...when I got mono as a kid, there were people who called me a slut, even though I was the epitomy of homeliness. <g> Grrr... but I digress. I appreciate your analysis, Wen.

How have things been for you lately? Still working?

Wendy wrote:
Please take note that this "study" means nothing.

Those interviewed weren't asked if they'd ever had a bad reaction from taking those combinations. And the study didn't assess whether patients were taking medications inappropriately.

The question asked was not whether anyone has had any complications from interactions between drugs and nutritional supplements, but rather if they took them together. An even bigger question is, Why can't the prescription drugs be dropped if a nutritional supplement will work just as well?" Also, Bob, be very cautious when taking statins or any other cholesterol lowering drugs. Cholesterol is not your enemy. Your body produces cholesterol when it needs it. Cell walls are almost pure cholesterol. Different forms of cholesterol are used for different things. LDLs are your bodies "patch" material. If your LDLs are high, you have damage that your body is patching until it can properly heal. HDLs are the "old bandages" being sent back to the liver to be reformed into another type of cholesterol. Tryglycerides are the form of cholesterol that is used when transporting or storing cholesterol. If your LDLs are high and your HDLs are low, that means that your cells are deteriorating and not being repaired. If your HDLs are high and your LDLs are low, that means that there is little new damage and what was there is healing fine. Statins and other cholesterol lowering drugs, inhibit your body's ability to synthesize cholesterol. It is like shooting the messenger. It doesn't "cure" or "fix" anything and may inhibit your ability to heal. There are certain cases where cholesterol lowering drugs are called for. For example, certain thyroid disorders cause the thyroid to erroneously call for massive amounts of tryglycerides. Tryglyceride counts can be in excess of 1000, over thicken the blood and cause blockages and interfere with the oxygen/CO2 exchange in the lungs. Bad news. Cholesterol lowering drugs are needed here since the blood cholesterol levels are being elevated in error. However, under normal conditions, cholesterol counts only give an indicator of what else is going on in your body. Manipulating them does not correct the condition that caused the concern. Prescribing cholesterol lowering drugs is like giving a child the test answers, then proclaiming that the child is learning when he passes the test. (Note: this analogy was not meant to be a call to anyone to go off on a rant of our pathetic public school system. ;-) )

Wendy

--
"The world is my country, all mankind are my
brethren, and to do good is my religion."