homestead - Re: [Homestead] Beef Stew..was Canned Meats

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Beef Stew..was Canned Meats
  • Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2008 13:40:15 -0500

rayzentz AT aim.com wrote:

I, however, do. Mostly turkey, ham, and other meats that might be left after a big feed, such as tomorrow. I also put up broth, gravy, and shredded meat with gravy, for stews and soups. Note that I do this. My wife does not do any canning. I have recently been toying with doing some beef stew. Any good family recipes out there?

Ray

I think meat and meat products were most frozen instead of canned in the
South, and before electricity, I'd say things were salted or smoked or
stored in lard or something.

Anyway, as to the beef stew...
I just have a stew 'recipe'...I can sub lamb, venison, beef, or
combinations...
Chop meat and coat in cornstarch and garlic powder and either soy,
worchestershire or red wine vinegar or even burgundy, depending on
taste. Brown meat in a bit of oil in the bottom of a dutch oven.
Remove meat and then make a brown roux/gravy in pan. Remove gravy from
pan and set aside.
Chop potatoes,chop carrots, check for leftover peas and if available add
them. Add one skinned tomato or a bit of tomato paste..garlic, onion,
mushrooms, some thyme SP and whatever else looks like it would be good.
Add some water, the meat and cook stew. When vegetables are about half
cooked, add quick barley to taste. When barley and vegetables are
almost done, add gravy, stir, adjust thickness to your liking, reduce
heat and allow to simmer until serving.

--
The true significance of Sacajawea's involvement in the Lewis & Clark
expedition is that it was the first documented trip in history where men