homestead - Re: [Homestead] Canned Meats

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Canned Meats
  • Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2008 14:36:46 -0800

Ray, how many are you feeding? Do you do pints or quarts?

So, do you like sweet and sour pork?

Layer a jar with cubes of pork, bell pepper, onion and pineapple. Fill with
pineapple juice, can. When you go to use it, thicken and serve over rice.

Make meatballs. For Italian, use your usual recipe. Brown and then pack in
jars. Season tomato sauce (not to heavy on the garlic or rosemary as they
increase in flavor when canned) and thin. Pour over meatballs and can.

Or make Swedish meatballs, brown, pack in jars and fill with broth. Then to
make your cream gravy when you serve them.

Or make meatballs using 5 Spice and brown. Pack in a jar with pineapple,
bell pepper and onion. Fill with a diluted pineapple juice and use as sweet
and sour.

Cube chicken or turkey and layer with veggies. Fill with broth and you have
a chunky soup or thicken the broth and serve over biscuits.

Season ground beef for meat loaf. Use a wide-mouth canning jar. Process.
Zap in the microwave a minute or so and it slides right out. Slice and fry
and serve with gravy.

BTW, don't can pearl barley or noodles. Don't make a thick gravy. Wait
until you go to serve your canned goods to make the gravy.

Lynda

P.S. I didn't include the canning times/pounds because they are different depending on where you are.
----- Original Message ----- From: <rayzentz AT aim.com>

We also canned a LOT of veggies as a kid, 1500-2000 quarts a season, as I
recall. But we had a HUGE garden cor townies, and my Did was a prolific
gardener. We didn't can meat, but I think it was more because we didn't
have access to livestock. Meat was too expensive for our large family, and
we didn't have it a lot. And there was definately no extra for canning.

I, however, do. Mostly turkey, ham, and other meats that might be left
after a big feed, such as tomorrow. I also put up broth, gravy, and
shredded meat with gravy, for stews and soups. Note that I do this. My
wife does not do any canning. I have recently been toying with doing some
beef stew. Any good family recipes out there?