homestead - Re: [Homestead] Canned Meats

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>, <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Canned Meats
  • Date: Wed, 24 Dec 2008 13:57:48 -0800

Bob, we average 110 all summer up here. The only air conditioning we have is a window unit in the livingroom. My pantry isn't air conditioned. Canned goods, including meat, do just fine. What canned goods need is an average temp that doesn't change radically. My pantry doesn't vary more than 20 degrees all year inside the cupboards. You also want them where there isn't a whole bunch of light.

Whether or not folks trust something has little to do with whether or not the quality of the product is good. Just like with the old BWB (boiling water bath) canning of veggies, if you aren't sure, boil it 10 minutes.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "bobf" <bobford79 AT yahoo.com>

Bev; knowing what you know today; if you felt comfortable "pressure" canning the meat in jars, like we used to do vegetables; would you feel safe storing the canned jrs of meat in an un-air conditioned storehouse/smokehouse/pantry?