homestead - Re: [Homestead] Cold,cold weather

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Cold,cold weather
  • Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 10:38:38 -0500

Lynn Wigglesworth wrote:
It was 8 degrees this morning, with a wind chill of way below zero.
The high is suppose to be 15 degrees. The house was 50 degrees when I
got up; my poor little stove can't keep up with this cold. I turned
on the main furnace...watching my $$$ go up the chimney. But it's up
to 57 in here!

Even though I had loaded the stove before I went to bed, it was about 50
in here this morning, too. Worse, the porch only had whole logs out
there from where I loaded it last week. So, in the 11 degree cold, I
went out with the ax and busted the split wood loose from the pile and
brought it in. Luckily, they thawed quickly and are burning now, but it
is still cold...
I have to leave in an hour or so and plan to be gone all day, so the
house will be super cold again when I get back..BUT, I am fine, I have
no heating bill, and I have about 3 years worth of wood in stock....

Bev
--
The true significance of Sacajawea's involvement in the Lewis & Clark
expedition is that it was the first documented trip in history where men