homestead - [Homestead] big agri-biz

  • From: Leslie <cayadopi AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] big agri-biz
  • Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 11:13:22 -0800 (PST)

http://www.financialsense.com/editorials/schmidt/2008/1215.html

This writer claims:  "Agri-Food is a rare investment theme. It does not have
loan losses. It does not require government money to stay in business."

I think a number of us could take issue with that statement !!!!

I realize what the author's point is - that no matter what people need to
eat, with or without government subsidies.

The question might need to be asked if the gov't stopped dishing out the
hand-outs, would big Ag continue to produce at reduced profits?

Isn't that what James(?) was talking about last week?

BTW, the charts enclosed show that food prices are rising again... especially
eggs, corn, wheat, broilers and (veggie?) oil.