homestead - Re: [Homestead] hyper v depr debate continues

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT com-pair.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] hyper v depr debate continues
  • Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 13:03:08 -0800

$73/hr if you include all the benefits that *supposedly* you get being a union worker. Now, having worked medical, I can tell you that their medical isn't any better than anywhere else but their premiums are pricey (personally, I think the union is getting a kickback!). Umpteen bazillion paid holidays (I'm not a believer and think every one should work rotating 4/10s which would save a whole bunch of money for companies) and sick leave which is abused and, of course, the gold brick clause which means you can't fire anyone unless you actually catch them doing drugs on the job.

IMO, the UAW is the problem, not that I am against all unions, but it
has increased the price of the car to where they are not competitive
with other manufacturers. Here in the southern US, there are many, many
foreign manufacturers that are non-unionized and the workers still
make good money($20/hr or better) The plants have revitalized local
economies and they have treated the workers well, for the most part.

A cop here who makes $12 or $15/hr, or a teacher who starts at $25k, or
even that autoworker who makes $20, cannot afford to pay the jacked up
price of a Big 3 vehicle. That price is necessitated by paying those
workers $40-50 hour for the same job others are doing for $20.

The true significance of Sacajawea's involvement in the Lewis & Clark
expedition is that it was the first documented trip in history where men
asked a woman for directions and followed them, allowing them to arrive
at their destination.