homestead - Re: [Homestead] deer hunting - pressure cooker kaboom

  • From: Leslie <cayadopi AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] deer hunting - pressure cooker kaboom
  • Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2008 18:48:27 -0800 (PST)

About 30 years ago, I accidently opened a pressure cooker (it didn't have a
safety lock) and kaboom.    I was boiling potatos at someone else's house,
and behind my back they put a pressure lid on... Potatos all over the
ceiling, and walls, the weight went right thru the overhead light fixture,
and I had 1st degree burns & a couple small spots of 2nd degree burns on my
legs.

I pressure cooked for another 28 years before the next incident (and pressure
cooking was a multi-week thing - it really softens up stew meats fast - as
well as makes fast work out of dried bean recipes..)

The next time it was a seal that went.  The big rubber ring one.  I just
reached over to turn the heat off.  The ex for some reason wanted to move it
to the sink.  Moving the pot though made it worse, and he had very nasty 2nd
degree burns across his whole belly that left discoloration type scars.

I'm not sure if using the pressure cooker often it better or worse for the
rubber gasket, but I really didn't have to replace them often.  Maybe once
every 6-7 years.